Portugal Citizenship by Investment
The Portugal Golden Visa program is the most popular and successful scheme in Europe with investors attracted to its flexibility and benefits.
The Portugal Golden Residence Permit Program is a five-year residence-by-investment program for non-EU nationals. An investment of €500,000 (or €350,000 reduced option) in real estate in Portugal will obtain a residency permit for an investor and his or her family including dependent children.
The residence permit gives the right to live, work, and study in Portugal and allows free travel in Europe’s Schengen Area. Portugal citizenship investment requires investors to spend just 7 days per year in the country, and 35 days in total which makes this program the easiest program in European citizenship-by-investment programs.
Benefits of investment for Golden Visa
- Live, work and study in Portugal and the EU/EEA countries.
- Portuguese passport holders can travel to 185 countries visa-free, making it the sixth most powerful passport on our Nomad Passport Index.
- Visa-free travel privileges within the Schengen area and many other countries around the world.
- Permanent residency or citizenship of Portugal after five years as a temporary resident.
- Inclusion of family members, such as spouse or partner, dependent children and dependent parents.
- Another unique benefit that is the possibility of establishing non-habitual residence and tapping into the incredible tax savings this program offers
- All eligible funds are strictly regulated by the Portuguese Securities Market Commission (CMVM) for increased transparency.
Any third country national meaning anyone except Portuguese and EU/EFTA citizens can apply for the Golden Visa after completing a suitable investment into Portugal.
Portugal’s Golden Resident Permit Program is offered in accordance with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs through the Department of Consular Affairs and the Portuguese Trade and Investment Agency (AICEP).
Aimed at attracting foreign direct investments to the country, the program yields a residency permit in Portugal to non-EU investors who fulfill one of the investment options below and meet the following requirements:
- Maintain the investment for a minimum period of five years.
- Provide proof that investment funds originate from abroad.
- Hold no criminal record.
- Spend a minimum of seven days in Portugal during the first year, then not less than 14 days in each subsequent 2-year period.
- Pay application and processing fees where applicable.
- Enter Portugal for the first time on a valid Schengen visa.
Types of Investment
Creation of at least 10 jobs (the number can be reduced to 8 jobs in low density areas) in the company may already exist or be incorporated in Portugal or in another State of the European Union and that it has a permanent establishment in Portugal.
- Applicants may invest a minimum of €350,000 in research activities of public or private entities that are part of the national scientific and technological system
- Applicants may invest a minimum of €250,000 in the arts or in the reconstruction or maintenance of national heritage projects.
- Applicants may invest a minimum of €500,000 for shares in investment funds or venture capital.
- Transfer of capital in the amount of 1 million euros or more;
1. A real estate purchase with a minimum value of at least EUR 500,000
2. A real estate purchase with a minimum value of EUR 350,000 for the refurbishment of properties older than 30 years or in an area of urban regeneration, including the cost of renovations.
Portuguese golden visa scheme for family members
The Portuguese golden visa permits the following family members to join the golden visa holder in Portugal:
- minor dependent children
- minor adopted children
- full-age dependent children who are studying
- dependent parents of either the golden visa holder or spouse
- minor dependent siblings who are under the guardianship of the golden visa holder